Perhaps the greatest power that a person possesses is the power to choose. Every day of our lives we are faced with many different kinds of choices. Mundane choices, ho hum choices such as what to wear and what to eat; what to watch on TV and which radio station to listen to. These choices are sometimes made with little thought or enthusiasm.
Other choices require soul-searching, in-depth thinking, a conscious effort, honest appraisal of a situation. Most of those types of choices are life-changing. Most situations are a matter of choice. The power of choice is inspiring.
Francois Marie Voltaire, one of France’s greatest writers and philosophers wrote these words: “life itself is a sum of all our choices. Life is all about choices.”
Each day, we are faced with coping with life and its challenges. Every day we are often faced with an important choice. How will we live the day? Will it be a good day or will we look forward to a miserable day? A positive attitude can make everyday living better. Life can become more meaningful, goals can become more attainable and the future can be more exciting and productive. A negative attitude can lead to destruction. We are either the master of our attitude – or the victim! It’s a matter of personal choice. The choice is ours.
Is your Attitude causing you problems?
You can tell that it is when…
• You don’t expect to succeed, so you’re defeated before you even start.
• You look to the future in resignation and to the past in regret.
• You always find more reasons why something won’t work than why it can.
• You’re convinced that you’re never going to get any better than you are right now.
• You believe that the glass is half empty but only temporarily, because you’re going to have even less after some evaporates
However, when your Attitude is positive…
• You feel in charge of life and ask what more can you do to make it better.
• Success is never a matter of “if,” only a matter of “when”.
• You first know that anything is possible — then you figure out how.
• You can’t wait until tomorrow because you keep getting better every day.
• You believe the glass is half full, but only temporarily, because you’ve got your order in for more, and you’re busy getting bigger glasses.
If we want to enjoy life and live it to the fullest we must learn to develop a positive attitude. A positive attitude can be powerful. It helps us to cope more easily with the daily affairs of life. It brings optimism into our lives and makes it easier to avoid worry and negative thinking.
The Desiderata is a wonderful poem that can help encourage us to find a positive way of life.
A positive attitude can lead to happiness and success and can change your whole life. If you look at the bright side of life, your whole life becomes filled with light. This light affects not only you and the way you look at the world, but also your whole environment and the people around you. If it is strong enough, it becomes contagious.